Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.                 /T. Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky, p. 349/

Monday 29 July 2013

Bollywood, Improv Comedy Mumbai at Impro2013, Berlin

You can't do everything in one evening, right? So I went to see Bollywood only on the second day and I already heard from others, what's it was going to be like. Maybe it was a mind trick, resulting from vivid imagination somewhat spoiled by the report of others, but I thought I saw some fake-ness on behalf of the Mumbai cast (the rest were trying to support them, fuck it up or both:). I don't mind, I mean, they're not that experienced yet, I guess, since it is hard to play the same show two (three*) times two nights in a row. I know it's a format, but I personally think they let themselves surprise each-other too little. That creates the fun, doesn't it?

Suggestion for improvement: mix up the people who play the roles. The bollywood "archetype" roles can be the same, just shift the people. Then, or as a prelude, mix it even more: have the old ones play young characters, have women play men, etc. You know, keep it alive.

*On the same note, I am sorry to say that the re-enactment after the second Bollywood show at the Impro Berlin's own resident theatre (when everybody arrived from the Bollywood show arrived, thus the Bollywood part 3) was just lame. I mean, was OK, but .. I've just seen it. And so have, in a way, the people from the previous night.
I wonder how many people that leaves, that were genuinely seeing it for the first time?


To be true, i just read a different review of the show on Impro2013's page and it does paint a vivid and colourful picture in my head. In retrospective (the above was written in March earlier this year), the show was quite OK, but with the fake-ness, resulting, I judge, from too little role variation, still lingers in my head.

Links: Impro Comedy Mumbai; Impro Berlin Festival; Gorillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment